[Tagging] Do-it-yourself versus hardware stores

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue Feb 9 02:09:02 UTC 2016

Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> writes:

>> Would it make sense to keep distinguishing between shop=doityourself
>> and shop=hardware? If so, how could we make the difference more
>> precise?

Reading the comments, I come to the conclusion that shop=doityourself
and shop=hardware are the same thing, with some notion of scale,
basically "home depot" vs "traditional hardware store".

The only distinction I can draw is to what extent building materials
(lumber, doors and windows, shingles, etc.) are significantly present.
Tradtionally, there seemed to be "hardware store" and then "lumber
store" or "building supply store" which were distinguishable.

Then, the HQ/Home Depot/Lowe's stores arose, and they are basically a
combination of the two.

So I would lean to

  shop=hardware: focused on tools, some parts, tends not to have large
    quantities of lumber, windows/doors, roofing, plumbing (other than
    repair parts)

  shop=building_supply: has significant lumber, doors/windows, roofing,
    insulation - things you need to build, vs repair parts, and vs tools.
    May also have everything a shop=hardware has.

which is basically redoing shop=doityourself as not being descriptive.

> how do we tag "do it yourself"-shops where you can buy material (e.g. wood)
> and use their tools and space to build something?

That's totally different.  I know of only places to do painting/make
ceramics or some similar craft (as a party destination) and beer.