[Tagging] Do-it-yourself versus hardware stores

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Feb 9 07:40:34 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 5:39 PM, Matthijs Melissen <info at matthijsmelissen.nl>
wrote:

> As you can see, these definitions are quite similar. Not surprisingly,
> taggers have problems with these definitions too. Some examples
> * Home Depot in the US is tagged home depot 1161 times as
> shop=doityourself, but also 148 times as shop=hardware.

I'm unaware of any Home Depot location small enough to really be considered
just a hardware store, based on the sample size of Home Depot stores I've
encountered, I'd be in favor of a an automated change on the 148 "hardware"
locations being turned over to "doityourself".

* True Value, according to the wiki a prototypical American hardware
> store, is tagged 74 times as shop=doityourself and 106 times as
> shop=hardware.

This may require a little more finesse, as True Value locations tend to
have a little more variation, being a franchise brand often going by other
names with their logo on it. Watonga Hardware, for example, is epic old
skool; used to hit them at least once a year during Oklacon at nearby Roman
Nose State Park.  Meanwhile, Westlake Hardware, which franchises True Value
and ACE in the Tulsa area, walks a very thin line between the two and might
require a bit more finesse.

> Would it make sense to keep distinguishing between shop=doityourself
> and shop=hardware? If so, how could we make the difference more
> precise?

I would say what's kept on hand.  In general, a hardware store's going to
have fewer items in stock and on hand, even if they can order it in within
a couple days.  And at least in the American context, they're smaller than
a warehouse, often fitting in a small town main street storefront.  I hate
to be this regional and folksy about it, but at least west of the
Mississippi, you're probably in a hardware store if they sell tools and
have complementary popcorn and/or chickens or cats freely wander the store.