[Tagging] Do-it-yourself versus hardware stores

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 10:12:04 UTC 2016

> At the end of the day there are an infinite number of combinations of what
> a shop might sell. It doesn't matter what examples are discussed here,
>  there will always be anecdotal evidence that it is wrong/incomplete. We
> are trying to reach consensus (I assume). If everyone just says that the
> shop near them sells X or Y this just emphasises how broad the spectrum of
> shops is. We are trying to model reality, not recreate it. That necessarily
> means compromises and simplifications. Talking about specific products like
> sinks is irrelevant unless you happen to be looking for a sink or the sale
> of sinks is essential to appropriately categorise the shop.

Yes, I do want to agree on a consensus, and I am aware that looking at one
example you will always find exceptions (those were just examples to
explain the concept, you don't have to fulfill all "requirements", it was
about a direction). But I also think that the distinction between
"professional" and "do it yourself at home" is not a good one for
distinguishing between "hardware store" and "do it yourself store" (the
latter might sell professional quality too, and professionals might go
there ocassionally to buy stuff because it is more convinient in their
actual situation (e.g. it takes them less time and they only need few of
something), I prefer the idea to look if they sell mainly tools, fixtures
and metal or also building parts, bathroom equipment and material like wood
and brick. Looking at the tools, there is generally a difference between
shops selling "cheap, occassional use tools" and those selling
"professional, use daily and eventually repair if broken tools", maybe this
can be expressed in a way? (I'm tempted to give "brand" a chance, this is
likely what a professional will look at / search for, but it will often
lead to multiple values).

Cheers,
Martin