[Tagging] Do-it-yourself versus hardware stores

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Thu Feb 11 10:31:57 UTC 2016

Javbw

> On Feb 11, 2016, at 5:26 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ot (they'd sell wire and nails/screws, glue, paint and even small amounts of gypsum or cement, also smaller extruded metal profiles might be available, or chainlink mesh,

Usually they sell small amounts of many materials for very tiny projects, but usually the small amounts are for repairs of exists ting things.

Many people repairing a toilet or a door may go to a hardware store. But no one finishing a room or building a bathroom is. The DIY is for "you can renovate the bathroom or build a deck" yourself - anyone should be able to patch a hole in the wall or repair a leaky faucet - that isn't the DIY meaning. I built a workshop in our garden from lumber and metal sheeting from a DIY. I bought a specialty tool to repair an old sink at a hardware store.

Focusing on products available is the key. Making a distinction that is easy for mappers to discern in wiki (or iD preset) without cracking the OED and without having them make a judgment call on the quality of service (I have met morons and well-versed professionals in both) are very good things to avoid.  DIY stores are open to the public - whereas many counties have restrictions on certain types of materials available. Though a pro or contractor may buy materials at a DIY shop, that is also not important - as the DIY sells bulk building supplies to *anyone* - that is the important part.

Hardware shop: focus on:

Tools (power, hand)
Hardware (fasteners, hinges, etc)
Consumables / paint

And Minor stock of materials (small lumber, garden)

~~~~~

DIY: focus on:
Large stocks of above, plus

Focus on Large stocks of building materials.

In addition, may include:
Large stocks of fixtures/ home appliances / Outdoor tools/ farm supplies / landscaping supplies

Large stocks of supporting construction materials.

Again, we're in a world where the DIY shop (Home Depot) has crushed the "general hardware" store (Ace), so there should be a lot more DIY stores in some regions than "hardware" shops.

Javbw