[Tagging] path=hiking in use

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Sun Feb 14 13:37:44 UTC 2016

Javbw

> On Feb 14, 2016, at 5:03 PM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> footway=hiking

Footway=trail, as it can be used for many activites, including hiking.

I would love to have a separate main key value for a trail, just like track.

We differentiate between a gravel driveway and a gravel track.

If I go to a zoo or a park, they often times have well graded compact gravel / DG/ dirt footways. If I had my friend in a wheelchair or my mother with bad toes from chemotherapy, they can easily shuffle or roll along the route because it is at heart a footway with surface=gravel.

If I have a loose gravel kind of path along a riverbank, with some rocks and erosion, I can easily hike (in sneakers!), mountain bike, or visit a ranger's cabin in a remote area. I'm not going to assume I can push a stroller along, take a 10 year old on their bike, nor bring along a kid in a wagon.

These are all assumptions people make when seeing sidewalks and "Paths" in a park or city on a map. A  trail - a way with inherent difficulty to travel because of condition, slope, and maintenance is different from those footpaths. The sac scale lets me set the degree of difficulty of the trail - but it does not let me actually differentiate between a sidewalk and a trail at a high level.

Just like we treat highway=residential / service / track differently and THEN we apply a track grade.

If I had a key or subkey value, it would be footway=trail or path=trail (as many many activities are allowed or prohibited on a trail), but path=hiking exists and is somewhat "inuse".

Something - anything - to separate a trail from a path that is related in some way to its highway=* value would be awesome.

Javbw.