[Tagging] path=hiking in use

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Wed Feb 17 13:11:36 UTC 2016

Javbw
> On Feb 17, 2016, at 9:03 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Why would the single track nature be a problem for motorcycles?

Probably regional bias. While I know motorcycles can handle the terrain, when I think of "trail" or "hiking" - usually every single trail I hiked on had motor vehicles, including dirt bikes, prohibited - I never encountered one in the couple thousand miles I hiked and biked on single-track. actual "highway=track", yes, I've seen a few.

The rule was probably there to keep my dad, who was a avid dirt bike adventurer in the 60's, from tearing up the terrain and then hunting every animal that moved in every square mile of San Diego as a teenager

I always think of off-road motorcycles racing through the rough desert.

Similarly, here in Japan, I have yet to see an off-road motorcycle that actually is "off-road". I Have seen some rock crawlers (that had been on their sides a lot), but it's very rare to see a dirt bike.

In an area dominated by single track for motorcycles (like those outdoor parks for off-road vehicles, ones I have never been to), perhaps a subkey of path to define it as a motorcycle path might be useful.
Mixing Dirt bikes and hikers sounds like a dangerous thing!

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.4143421,139.249253,3a,66.8y,346.68h,79.2t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s21Q9FFSuEYVGJGGbvjmlEw!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x601ee4da223e8931:0xaff30acb8d1210b

There is a nice well maintained trail hidden in the bamboo that goes straight up this hill (the asphalt road turns right) - you can get a dirt bike up it only if it is dry - otherwise the clay is so slippery! It is like a toboggan Shute straight down with no steps. I flew down it on a mountain bike - the asphalt is the only place the tires could grip anything to stop - they left huge crescent marks anywhere I tapped the brakes to try to slow down. I shot out of the bamboo at full speed.

 I don't know how the old people walk their dogs up it every day.

Javbw