[Tagging] Galleries versus art shops

Steve Doerr doerr.stephen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 09:36:52 UTC 2016

On 15/02/2016 08:34, Max wrote:
> On 2016년 02월 15일 02:03, Warin wrote:
>>   To me a 'gallery' is a place that displays art .. not sells it. So
> Have you followed the two threads of discussion at all before sending this?

I agree with Warin (and the OED note I quoted before): in British
English, a place that displays art is an art gallery, not a museum. The
National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery, Tate Gallery, etc. in
London are examples. So, in my opinion, are the Van Gogh Museum and
Rijksmuseum: were it not for the element 'museum' in their names, we
would think of these as art galleries, not museums.

--
Steve

---