[Tagging] Galleries versus art shops

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 09:52:05 UTC 2016

> So, in my opinion, are the Van Gogh Museum and Rijksmuseum: were it not
> for the element 'museum' in their names, we would think of these as art
> galleries, not museums.

I'm not sure for the Van Gogh Museum, but I am sure for the Rijksmuseum
(because I have been there), that it is correctly named "museum" and not
"gallery", because they do expose a lot of furniture, and the word
"gallery" is reserved for paintings (and maybe sculptures). Maybe the Van
Gogh Museum does deal with van Gogh's life and not just with his work, what
would explain the term museum for this.

Cheers,
Martin