[Tagging] Bridge relations. Is that a 'thing'?

Richard ricoz.osm at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 21:12:01 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 08:02:20PM +0000, Dave F wrote:
> Hi
>
> Recent addition in my neck of the woods:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5979157
>
> A relations collecting together the bridge outline & all the lanes. It's the
> first I've come across. Are they widespread.

in this case it would seem like a clear overkill. man_made=bridge
would be prefered for such simple cases.

Relations may make sense when there are other (than ways) objects/features
on top of the bridge but even then you might try

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Simplify_man_made%3Dbridge_mapping#Objects_on_bridges

Richard