[Tagging] Bridge relations. Is that a 'thing'?

Holger Jeromin gmane at katur.de
Tue Feb 16 21:15:17 UTC 2016

Dave F <davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com>
 Wrote in message:
> Hi
>
> Recent addition in my neck of the woods:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5979157
>
> A relations collecting together the bridge outline & all the lanes. It's
> the first I've come across. Are they widespread.
>
> IMO I can't quite see the point of it & to me, comes under the heading
> 'relations aren't meant to be collections of things'.
>
> Opinions?

The concept is quite old

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Bridges_and_
Tunnels

About 4000 relations are tagged.

I think with the current rendering in OSM carto of the outline
 (man_made=bridge) most mapper will stop with the outline. One
 main problem (bridge name is not highway name) is elegantly
 solved with the outline.

I am not sure which questions are not answered by finding all ways
 inside the outline with the same layer.

--
Holger

----Android NewsGroup Reader----