[Tagging] Bridge relations. Is that a 'thing'?

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 23:12:21 UTC 2016

The idea was to treat complex bridges like this one in Istanbul, in a way
that makes sense:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/151818

This bridge carries two tram tracks, two lanes of vehicular traffic, and
multiple footways on both sides and on two levels. The lower level also has
shops and restaurants. If you look closely at it, you can see both the tram
lines and the highways still use layer and bridge tags. Perhaps because the
bridge relation concept is not yet in general use.

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 5:12 AM, Dave F <davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com> wrote:

> I noticed the 4000+ type=bridge, but many of those are relations that try
> & tie the bridge going over with the way going under.
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/173154#map=15/51.5508/-2.6219
>
> Which isn't the same objective as the first example I provided. From
> memory it was to allow routers to check for low bridges etc. AsI remember
> it, it was discredited by unsure why.
>

> I think with the current rendering in OSM carto of the outline
>>   (man_made=bridge) most mapper will stop with the outline. One
>>   main problem (bridge name is not highway name) is elegantly
>>   solved with the outline.
>>

> bridge:name=* can be used. It sits happily alongside name=*
>
> I am not sure which questions are not answered by finding all ways
>>   inside the outline with the same layer.
>>

> Agreed
>
> Cheers
> Dave F.