[Tagging] man_made=mast for non communication uses?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 20:22:06 UTC 2016

> "A man_made=mast is usually a small tower of only a few meters height. It
> is often built from concrete or steel and only for a single application
> like a mobile phone base station."

Generally, when the definitions in OSM are different from what a person
speaking the language might expect, it doesn't work. The issue here:
"small" "a few meters high" seems not pertinent for radio masts which are
among the tallest man made structures on earth, particularly when made of
concrete or steel they can be hundreds of meters high. A quick image search
confirms this (no small structures at all had been found)

>From a mast I'd expect to have guy wires, while a tower should typically be
freestanding, so the word "small tower" doesn't seem to be a lucky choice
either.

Cheers,
Martin

Btw.: this is a recurring topic because of the unlucky mast wiki page.