[Tagging] man_made=mast for non communication uses?

Marc Zoutendijk marczoutendijk at mac.com
Wed Feb 17 21:05:58 UTC 2016

> On 17 feb. 2016, at 21:22 Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>
> Generally, when the definitions in OSM are different from what a person speaking the language might expect, it doesn't work. The issue here:
> "small" "a few meters high" seems not pertinent for radio masts which are among the tallest man made structures on earth, particularly when made of concrete or steel they can be hundreds of meters high. A quick image search confirms this (no small structures at all had been found)

I was talking about a mast, not about towers.
The wiki (how “unlucky" it may be) is clear on the difference between a mast and a tower. [1]

> From a mast I'd expect to have guy wires, while a tower should typically be freestanding, so the word "small tower" doesn't seem to be a lucky choice either.

I don’t expect guy wires, neither does the wiki, nor have I ever seen them in use for all (55 or so) man_made=mast structures that are in my neighbourhood (in the Nehterlands). Typically “small” masts of steel or concrete and about 5 - 15 meters high.

But that was not my question in the first place, I asked for the use of:

man_made=mast
mast=lighting

or
mast:type=lighting