[Tagging] man_made=mast for non communication uses?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 11:06:14 UTC 2016

On 18/02/2016 9:40 PM, Marc Gemis wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 11:06 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer
> <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> "High masts may be fastened to ground with guy wires."
>>
>> actually any mast may be fastened to the ground by guy wires, also low ones.
>> I propose to remove the word "high".
> Does "Masts may be fastened to ground with guy wires" helps in the
> classification ? You want to drop "It is often build from concrete or
> steel" because it does not help. The guy wires sentence looks exactly
> the same. It's only when it has guy wires that you know that it is a
> mast and not a tower.
>
> Shouldn't we try to rewrite the page so that we have "if it has
> characteristic X, it is a mast" of "If it characteristic Y is it
> definitely not a tower/mast"
>
> I would like to see something
>
> "When the structure is fastened with guy wires, you can map it as
> mast. It is not a tower in this case".
> "When the structure is made from steel or concrete, it is not a tower,
> it could be a mast though"  (maybe not the best example).

Possible problem - only for a few instances;

When used for low frequency radio transmissions the transmission wires may resemble 'guy wires' .. they may even have a dual function.
I think this will occur so infrequently that it may be ignored on the OSMwiki.

A sample .. just AM not ELF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Droitwich_Transmitting_Station