[Tagging] landuse=commercial

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 15:57:12 UTC 2016

> As you mention, mixed use can be particularly troublesome. On a large farm
> (so agricultural usage) there are "islands" with a differing factual usage,
> such as the house where the farmer lives (residential usage) and the
> workshop where he mends his combine harvester (industrial usage).

The farm is quite its own world, even in OSM it has its own landuse, and
all of what you describe for me is part of this farm landuse, it's neither
industrial just because the farmer repairs his tools, nor is it residential
because he lives there.

> We should have a consistent policy as to whether these "islands" take
> their factual usage, or are considered part of the larger-scale object
> without their own landuse object in OSM.

a consistent policy? I'd say it depends ;-)

> Of course all authorities do it their own way, and there is no global
> standard we can follow (unless the UN have got a model for this?). What we
> can learn however is what makes a good standard in terms of breadth of
> coverage and in terms of depth of detail. With that in our minds, we are
> free to define our own standard.

+1

Cheers,
Martin