[Tagging] landuse=commercial

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 09:22:27 UTC 2016

sent from a phone

> Am 19.02.2016 um 17:52 schrieb Bryan Housel <bryan at 7thposition.com>:
>
> Agreed, I was mainly responding to Martin’s suggestion that landuse tags might correspond exactly to detailed planning zones.   I feel that assuming so would be a huge mistake.

what I meant was that we don't need to have all the details in the
landuse tag because we also have other additional tags for finer
details. These information combined are somehow comparable to the
cited "planning authorities' GIS.". I didn't mean to suggest that
zoning is as simple as putting one of the basic landuse classes on an
area and be done. Rather I'd see zoning as something we are not
particularly interested in, because it is a prescription, not a
description of what is there, and it is authorative, so there is
nothing the crowd can improve or contribute besides what the
authorities release, that's why there's no point in putting it into
OSM (and indeed, we don't do it, we map the actual landuse, not the
zone).

Cheers,
Martin