[Tagging] Voting rules

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 00:34:34 UTC 2016

The reality is that most mappers don't pay any attention to this group or
the "decisions" we make. It's all well and good to make careful
deliberations about this tag or that one but in the end people will do what
they want. They will continue to tag for the renderer, add tags that make
no sense or aren't orthogonal to the main tag, add non-existent names to
their favorite features (name="Dad's house") and there's not much we can do
about it.

Sixty-two votes is actually a fair showing as these things go. It's only
when you take into account that, according to Andy'e estimate, "around 1100
individual mappers last edited a jewellery shop" that it looks weak.

Anyway, now that the proposal has been "voted down" does that mean the tag
description will change in the Wiki?

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 4:48 AM, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 11:54:55 +0000
> Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 23/02/2016 10:33, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> > >
> > > It was provisionally rejected with 40 votes for, 18 votes against
> > > and 4 abstentions.
> > > Approval rate: 68.97%. Less than required 74% so provisional
> > > rejection; proposer to make final call.
> >
> > The tricky bit of course is that those percentages are "of the people
> > who voted".
>
> It is not surprising that only people who voted were voting.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand