[Tagging] Tagging tourist offices

Matthijs Melissen info at matthijsmelissen.nl
Fri Jan 1 21:55:24 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Tourist offices are currently tagged as tourism=information, information=office.

The tag tourism=information is also used for guideposts, maps, boards,
etc. In my opinion, the tagging for tourist offices is quite complex,
and the grouping of tourist offices with things like guideposts is not
very intuitive. On the other hand, data consumers will probably not be
eager to start supporting a different tagging scheme, and it will
probably take quite some time to change the data to the new tagging
scheme.

So my question is, would it make sense to propose a different tagging
for tourist offices, for example tourism=tourist_office or
office=tourism? Or should we stay with the current tagging? I'm myself
quite ambivalent on this issue, and I'd like to hear your opinion.

-- Matthijs