[Tagging] Landuse=forestRY?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sun Jan 3 18:40:31 UTC 2016

Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> writes:

> sent from a phone
>
>> Am 28.12.2015 um 06:44 schrieb Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com>:
>>
>> The common understanding of the word 'forestry' is .. an activity that uses trees to make products. This is a 'use'.
>
> interesting, then I was mislead, I had thought of forestry as an
> activity to grow wood (and maybe cut it down, clean it, maybe take
> care of the animals in the wood), but not as the industry of making
> things out of the wood, like the work of sawmills, cabinetmakers,
> joiners etc.

From the native US English speaker perspective: I agree with Martin
pretty much exactly.  Warin's sense of forestry (which may be true in
German) is not used in the US at all.

I would put a papermill that is located in the area where the wood as
grown as perhaps marginal to call it a forestry activity, but I think
people would consider that not forestry.  Perhaps the same with sawmill,
although that seems like more of a stretch.

Anyone using post-sawmill wood (cabinetmaker, house building, etc.) is
definitely not forestry.

We also have a notion of "forester" as an occupation, which is someone
who oversees the land that trees are grown on for harvesting, deciding
what to cut when, etc.  As oppposed to a "logger", who actually cuts
trees, although this is probably fuzzy.  But neither of these operate
sawmills (a "sawyer") or build furniture (e.g. "cabinetmaker").