[Tagging] Factory, works & other ways to describe industrial production sites and their products

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Mon Jan 4 10:17:12 UTC 2016

With about 11k occurrences
(http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/industrial#overview),
[1]industrial=* is mostly used for oil infrastructure but also for other
sorts of industrial activities.

factory=* only occurs 569 times - with various values:
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/factory#overview [2] - I like
industrial=* better because it covers more than factories.

man_made=works dominates with about 83k occurrences:
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/man_made=works#overview [3] - its
problem is that it requires an additional tag to describe its nature,
such as product=* (1844 occurrences -
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/product#overview [4]) [5] or
works:type (210 occurrences -
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/works%3Atype#overview [6]) which
describes either the product or the type.

Also, the power=* space is a world of its own and there are quite a few
industrial facilities in the man_made=* space such as 37k
man_made=wastewater_plant or 128k man_made=storage_tank
(http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/man_made#values) [7].

So, if we exclude the power=* world and the man_made=* description of
specific industrial objects, if we discount the marginal presence of
factory=* (which may perhaps be discouraged considering the dominance of
alternatives), that leaves us with either standalone industrial=* or the
combination of man_made=works with a complementary tag such as product=*
or works:type=* - which both have merits and popularity.

So, what does tagging at openstreetmap.org thinks about that ? Is the
tagging of industrial production sites and their products ripe for
standardization ? Which way seems like the right one to you ?

Links:
------
[1] http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/industrial#overview
[2] http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/factory#overview