[Tagging] Factory, works & other ways to describe industrial production sites and their products

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 11:26:23 UTC 2016

sent from a phone

> Am 04.01.2016 um 11:17 schrieb Jean-Marc Liotier <jm at liotier.org>:
>
> So, what does tagging at openstreetmap.org thinks about that ? Is the tagging of industrial production sites and their products ripe for standardization ? Which way seems like the right one to you ?

I have understood from previous discussions that "industrial" is not a term that gets read the same way in different parts of the world. Businesses that aren't considered industrial in Germany (but de:Gewerbe), e.g. those where manual work and/or few (if any) division of labour (typically small businesses with few employees) prevail, aren't considered industrial in some parts of the world but apparently are in others, e.g. the building sector. Size does matter, as it will lead to different quality, not just the same but bigger, but different.

Also the power key you mentioned covers some clearly industrial parts (e.g. power plants), so there are already established tagging conventions for facets of the industrial complex which would create problems to standardization.

I would propose to keep man made=works and standardize the product values, maybe suggest a structure for more generalized additional tags as well, e.g. for the industrial sector (e.g. automotive, media, oil and gas, chemical, clothing, toys, electronics, ...) and eventually subtags. I bet there are already several standardized classifications available, we could research which these are, and which of them are suitable for adaptation.

Please note that 81% of the present industrial tags are set in combination with landuse=industrial, so are meant to specify the landuse (in practice they are on a very specific level, not just heavy industry, light industry etc., what I would have expected for a landuse subkey on the first level)
http://taginfo.osm.org/keys/industrial

Cheers,
Martin