[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - Aquatics centre

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Tue Jan 5 10:25:53 UTC 2016

Matthijs Melissen wrote on 2016/01/01 22:47:
> Hi all,
>
> Voting on the proposal for the tag leisure=aquatics_centre is now
> open. You can vote here:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Aquatics_centre

I think the proposal has been rushed into voting prematurely, with just 5 days
from draft on 25 Dec, during the holiday seasons where many people might be
mapping away from home ;-)

While the tag has some initial beauty, it leads to further fragmentation
of a primary key -- a fragmentation that the parallel proposal of deprecating
amenity=swimming_pool tries to reduce.

Having a new key for a sports facility for a specific kind of sport forces
a data consumer just interested in distinguishing sports grounds from other
features, without being interested in the specific kind of sport, to implement
another value for the leisure key.

The issue boils down into duck tagging vs. structured tagging, which I'll analyse
in a separate mail, anyway a structured approach could look as follows:

For an aquatics centre with predominant swimming facilities, and a volleyball pitch for warm-up:

area outline:
* leisure=sports_centre
* sports_centre=aquatics

the pools:
* leisure=swimming_pool
* access=customers
* sport=swimming (or diving or other water sport)

the extra facilities
* leisure=pitch
* sport=volleyball

Consequently, we could discourage leisure=golf_course, and introduce:

area outline:
* leisure=sports_centre
* sports_centre=golf_course

the golfing details: