[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - Aquatics centre

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Wed Jan 6 01:35:11 UTC 2016

> On Jan 5, 2016, at 9:02 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> my opinion on this is that swimming is so different from other sports that I'd use a different main tag for the structure.

+1

Most "sports centres" are built around the idea of pitches/fields/courts of some sort. Solid expanses of walkable area, with specialty rooms for individual sports that also take place while on solid ground.

These are multiuse facilities, usually, built around the idea of pitches. Even with nets and lines, many sports can be played on a single pitch - but swimming/water polo/diving doesn't use pitches. It is not a specialized pitch, like a tennis court or soccer field. This is similar to ice skating/hockey and skiing/mountain biking runs. They are not pitches in the normal sense.

So facilities that cater to pitch oriented and related sports are easily called a sports centre - our sports centres also have kendo/judo and Sumo rooms, as well as normal wrestling - but you would expect to find wrestling/gymnastics/weightlifting at a sports centre. Specialized sports, but still on foot.

A really large sports centre may have a pool on the grounds as well. It is merely a pool.

Aquatics center is its own beast. It is a stand-alone facility dedicated to swimming, with 1 main pool and related facilities (usually many pools) and no pitches - a separation seen in real life throughout the world.

Javbw