[Tagging] Elevation and height on vertical features

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 16:24:17 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 9:14 AM, Aaron Spaulding <Aaron at sachimp.com> wrote:

> 1. The ‘ele’ tag refers to the high side of the cliff, and the ‘height’ is
> how far down it is to the bottom of the cliff.
>
> 2. The ‘ele’ tag refers to the low side of the cliff, and the 'height' is
> how far up it is to the top of the cliff.

For geologic features (cliffs, mountains), scenario 1 makes sense to me.
For non geologic features features (walls, buildings) scenario 2 makes
sense.  In general, 'ele' should refer to the elevation of the Earth's
surface above sea level at the given location. It shouldn't really have to
do with "low" and "high" but rather the Earth's surface.

Mike