[Tagging] highway = track vs. residential

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 22:15:00 UTC 2016

I am editing in Colorado, US in a rural part of the state. I do have first
hand knowledge of the area. It looks like someone has gone through and
changed many ways tagged "highway = residential" to "highway = track."  For
example:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/6152252#map=16/40.7825/-105.1985

Although these are gravel surfaced roads (not yet tagged that way, but
physically that is what they are), the ones in question provide access to
two or more homes and/or ranches.  To me these are not "tracks" but
"residential." Before I change these back, I wanted to check with the
community.

Also, I would like your opinion on driveways (if they are mapped at all).
My understanding is that they (at least the part between the public road
and the house) should be tagged highway=service, service=driveway,
access=private and not highway=track.

Mike