[Tagging] highway = track vs. residential

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Thu Jan 7 22:35:37 UTC 2016

My parents house is in a pretty rural part of Arizona and distinguishing between tracks and driveways or even residential roads can be difficult there. So my initial instinct was to say leave the ways in that part of Colorado as tracks as it can be hard to tell on the imagery.

But looking at the satellite imagery in the area you linked, they clearly look like unpaved residential roads and dirt driveways.

I’d leave the driveways in but change the tagging to:

highway=service
service=driveway
surface=unpaved
access=private

For the roads, clearly wider and serving multiple houses in the satellite imagery and with names showing in the 2015 Tiger imagery, I’d tag them as

highway=residential
surface=unpaved
name=(whatever the Tiger 2015 imagery says)

Adding the buildings the driveways lead to would be a nice touch but add to your work load.

Cheers,
Tod