[Tagging] Elevation and height on vertical features

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 01:30:50 UTC 2016

On 8/01/2016 9:56 AM, Colin Smale wrote:
> Nobody will be using the raw data to fly a plane. It doesn't matter if
> we use the ele tag for the top or the bottom - as long as the height
> is given, the other value can easily be derived. What is important is
> consistency, both in its definition and it's usage. Defining it as
> sometimes the top and sometimes the bottom of a feature doesn't help.

And consistent with other mapping products/practices?

By convention maps uses blue to indicate sea, rivers and streams.
The idea is to be readily usable by using the same practice as others
have used in the past.
  Not to set some new standard where there is no reason for it.

Grasping at straws .. the elevation of a mountain is given as its peak.
If there is consistency within the map then the elevation of all objects
should be their maximum height.

> We will also need to standardize on a datum for elevations. The wiki
> refers to both mean sea level (which varies by country) and wgs84. The
> differences might be enough to take the wheels off your plane..

Good point there! :-)
For most it won't matter. What do international planes use as there
reference for height? Use that - again consistency.

By maintaining some consistency with what has been done elsewhere it
will make it easier to compare, check and confirm OSM data.