[Tagging] Elevation and height on vertical features

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 01:47:44 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 6:30 PM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Grasping at straws .. the elevation of a mountain is given as its peak. If
> there is consistency within the map then the elevation of all objects
> should be their maximum height.

Sort of. By convention (in general mapping products) elevation is the
height of the ground (top of mountain top of cliff, the floor of a valley).
I have not heard anyone talk about the "elevation" of the top of a building
or the top of a tree, etc.

> Good point there! :-)
> For most it won't matter. What do international planes use as there
> reference for height? Use that - again consistency.

Having worked with aviation map data outside of OSM, they are concerned
with height of (typically man made) objects above the earth's surface (e.g.
a 50 meter high radio antenna).