[Tagging] Elevation and height on vertical features

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Fri Jan 8 19:26:22 UTC 2016

> On Jan 8, 2016, at 10:51 AM, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:
>

> Tod Fitch <tod at fitchdesign.com> writes:
>
>>> On Jan 8, 2016, at 10:04 AM, Mike Thompson <miketho16 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> But I get it that the USGS surely publishes mountain heights
>>> somehow.
>>> I have asked, and so far I have not gotten an answer as to where I can find the data.
>>>
>> Is this the type of data you are looking for?
>>
>> http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ds_mark.prl?PidBox=EW7674
>
> No - that is the height of a disc which is near the top of the mountain,
> which is (probably) different than the height of the mountain.

I guess that comes down to site surveys then. It happens that the particular one I linked to is, within a few inches, at the highest point on that peak. I only know that because I am very familiar with that mountain.

But I believe the old USGS topo maps have only a couple types of spot elevations on them with the icon indicating the type. And the ones with the point inside a triangle are actually for the USGS benchmark on the mountain which, as you point out, may not be the highest point.