[Tagging] Elevation and height on vertical features

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 19:58:31 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 12:15 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com
> wrote:

> FWIW, for most usages of these ele values it doesn't really matter if a
> value is 20 meters more or less, they are used to get a rough idea, not to
> be used in calculations where a meter more or less is important, i.e. this
> discussion is mostly theoretical...
>
> I generally agree, with the exception of summits.  Hikers / "Peak Baggers"
[1] do care about the "official" elevation of mountains.  I think OSM
should - in these cases - match official government surveys where
available.  The particular datum is not important, as long as it is known,
as someone making a map from OSM can convert to the datum they are
interested in.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_bagging