[Tagging] landuse=farmland and highway=track

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Mon Jan 11 08:09:59 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 08:21:30AM +0000, Gerd Petermann wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I am currently (armchair) mapping rural areas in Japan, that means realigning nearly all
>
> existing ways.
>

> Whenever I am mapping landuse=farmland areas I wonder whether I should
>
> 1) draw one rather large polygon stretching across all highway=track ways
> and small buildings which are likely used by the farmer and waterway=ditch ways or
> 2) draw small polygons so that none of these objects is "covered".
>
> Obviously option 1) is easier and results in rather few landuse polygons while 2) is
> much more work and results in many typically nearly rectangular shapes.

I am not so religious about covering tracks in farmland. The point is
that huge polygons tend to break much more often and tend to be much
harder to modify/fix. I personally keep polygons small for that reason.

Also there are much more fine grained tags for agricultural land e.g.
meadow etc - Typically when you map farmland and do it right it does not
grow that huge. You have small wooden strips, waterways with
scrub around, roads etc. I typically even break up at field boundaries
seen in differences in plant growths etc as thats typically the
boundary for changes in usage in the future.

Flo
      We need to self-defend - GnuPG/PGP enable your email today!