[Tagging] landuse=farmland and highway=track

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 00:06:00 UTC 2016

Sometimes as I labor over doing these areas correctly I wonder if someday
it will all be made obsolete. I don't know when or if it will happen but I
have to think that some point in the future OSM will employ aerial imagery
as does Google. Then, instead of a white, featureless background in areas
no OSMer has "filled in" we'll see the earth's surface as it really is with
our routable ways overlaid upon it.
This
email has been sent from a virus-free computer protected by Avast.
<#DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 4:26 AM, Michał Brzozowski <www.haxor at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On a side note, tools that generate vector maps seem to be really
> clueless about fusing such separated polygons back again at low zoom
> to simplify them without blank stripes inbetween and caring about
> topological correctness. Is there any GIS toolchain that could
> scalably (country/world level) generalize landuse/natural/water
> polygons the correct way? I take a guess ArcGIS can do that as their
> spatial analysis toolset is very advanced, but anything free?
>
> Michał

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand