[Tagging] landuse=farmland and highway=track

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 00:37:50 UTC 2016

sent from a phone

> Am 12.01.2016 um 01:06 schrieb Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com>:
>
> Sometimes as I labor over doing these areas correctly I wonder if someday it will all be made obsolete. I don't know when or if it will happen but I have to think that some point in the future OSM will employ aerial imagery as does Google. Then, instead of a white, featureless background in areas no OSMer has "filled in" we'll see the earth's surface as it really is with our routable ways overlaid upon it.

if routing is all you're interested in then: yes, if you want to do different things like analyzing particular situations or search for things then: no ;-)
A lot of stuff will be recognizable automatically, maybe farmlands will, but a lot of other stuff will never be automatically become available from the air, e.g. names, shops, addresses, and lots more (maybe from streetview like photos it will be possible in the future to deduct a lot, right now it isn't or Google would do it ;-) ). Think Apple maps: they build automatically impressive realistic multi-level 3D-imagery, but without a data layer in the background that says what it IS that you see, their product wouldn't even be worth the name "map". With all the neuronal networks and stuff that are and that are to come, osm and the people that care for it will still remain a valuable source that cannot be replaced by algorithms in the midterm (never say never of course, maybe in the future there are robots walking around collecting data ;-) )

cheers,
Martin