[Tagging] Jewelry/jewellery shops

Stephan Knauss osm at stephans-server.de
Thu Jan 14 07:33:55 UTC 2016

On 13.01.2016 23:46, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> We currently use British English for almost all OSM tags. Jewellery
> shops however are typically tagged with the American English variant
> shop=jewelry (20083 occurrences), and hardly ever with the British
> English variant shop=jewellery (187 occurrences). Editors and data
> consumers only support the American variant.

so I propose to accept it as it is. It is accepted tagging. Keep in mind
that we don't have any formal "approval" process for tagging. If
something is in active use then it is considered approved.

The benefit to have any different spelling is small to non-existent.

Situation would be different if it would cause conflicts or
misinterpretation (think of the "gym" tagging). But here I don't see any
such conflict.

And as others already mentioned: It is recommended to use, BE, not required.

Stephan