[Tagging] Jewelry/jewellery shops

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 08:24:03 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 8:33 AM, Stephan Knauss <osm at stephans-server.de> wrote:
> On 13.01.2016 23:46, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
>>
>> We currently use British English for almost all OSM tags. Jewellery
>> shops however are typically tagged with the American English variant
>> shop=jewelry (20083 occurrences), and hardly ever with the British
>> English variant shop=jewellery (187 occurrences). Editors and data
>> consumers only support the American variant.
>

> so I propose to accept it as it is. It is accepted tagging. Keep in mind
> that we don't have any formal "approval" process for tagging. If something
> is in active use then it is considered approved.
>
> The benefit to have any different spelling is small to non-existent.
>
> Situation would be different if it would cause conflicts or
> misinterpretation (think of the "gym" tagging). But here I don't see any
> such conflict.
>
> And as others already mentioned: It is recommended to use, BE, not required.

+1 to accept the current tagging. Please do not bother our data
consumers with a change. No need to repeat the sub_station/substation
story again.

Many non-English mappers don't see this inconsistency between BE and
AE. They use a UI in their own language. In Dutch you add a "juwelier"
and never care about the key-value pair that gets added.
It's a "problem" for more advanced mappers that add the key-value pair
themselves.

reagrds