[Tagging] Please don't think name_1 tags are errors.

Ralph Aytoun ralph.aytoun at ntlworld.com
Fri Jan 15 16:25:23 UTC 2016

I am quite in favour of people coming forward to discuss the possibility of
improving the iD Editor if it is causing problems.

I object to the continuous use of naming new mappers as a problem. I will
defend the reason for iD preventing new mappers from being given the option
of inadvertently or erroneously deleting other mapper's work. At least until
they understand what they are deleting.

New mappers have a lot to learn. They have enough of a problem just learning
how to use the tools and finding out what basic tagging is without being
inundated with error messages telling them they cannot save their work
because of some technical fault. Let them save their work rather than it
getting lost or they get so frustrated that they give up and walk away. And
believe me when I say that they are nor learning bad tagging from the iD
Editor because most new mappers will not understand what just happened or
that the tag is different, they will just be grateful that their work has
been saved and they can continue mapping.

To really understand the tagging requires a concerted study and even then it
does not help. When I started a waterway=wadi was an accepted tag but within
a period of three months it was deprecated by a group that did not really
understand it's cartographic usage. Now we are left with intermittent=yes
which does not adequately depict a dry river bed that is a natural feature
but only occasionally (as opposed to regularly or seasonally) has flowing
water. Throughout the arid countries we now have these features
(wadi/ouadi/arroyo/dry gulch/ etc.) without an appropriate tag. So I would
say, do not knock the new mappers, this area is a minefield of correctness
... or incorrectness as the case may be ...
and we do not want to discourage new mappers.

I sympathise with the frustrations of the very experienced
mappers/taggers/renderers but we have to remember that Openstreetmap has
developed and grown with everyone being a new mapper at some stage. Please
be tolerant of the new mappers so that they can grow with us and become the
experienced mappers of the future... with our help.... not our criticism.

Please all have a Happy Mapping year and help this immense undertaking to
grow.