[Tagging] Please don't think name_1 tags are errors.

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Thu Jan 21 12:18:53 UTC 2016

W dniu 20.01.2016 23:17, moltonel 3x Combo napisał(a):

> Concerning your suggestion to use "name=n1 alt_name=n2;n3", let me
> rethorically wonder why you didn't suggest "name=n1;n2;n3" ? I expect
> it is because the risk of semicolons in the "name" tag catching some
> consumers unaware. Well, that risk of catching consumers unaware is
> pretty much the same with semicolons in "name" as in "alt_name".

I'm sorry if I don't fit in the context, because I don't follow this
thread, but I know at least one valid case, where we need to know proper
sequence of elements and semicolon notation would be not suitable -
think of long inscriptions on monuments/memorials (and we have only 255
chars available per value, IIRC).

It's a technical problem with our tagging system - no nesting, no
sequencing and only one value per key are the most visible ones for me.

--
"Завтра, завтра всё кончится!" [Ф. Достоевский]