[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Discourage amenity=public_building

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 23:12:31 UTC 2016

On 16/01/2016 8:35 AM, Colin Smale wrote:

> How would you translate or apply these tags in e.g. the UK or the
> Netherlands (my home countries)? What is a "state government"? What is
> a "local government seat"? These things will mean different things to
> different people.
>
> Although this is phrased a bit rhetorically, I do think we should be
> aware that a description in one person's vernacular is not necessarily
> clear to a diverse audience. A "town hall" is (to me) a bit archaic,
> but I think many people would be able to answer the question "where is
> the town hall?" for their home municipality. It will often be a
> historic building, and may or may not be where the council chamber is,
> or where the "mayor" or the head of the council has their office. So
> how do you decide if a building is a/the Town Hall?
>
> And what would be an example of "an office of a local administrative
> authority, not related to the state government"? I cannot imagine,
> maybe someone can jog my brain in the right direction.
>
> As for building=public, well, words fail me. What is a "public
> building"? A building to which the public has access? That's not an
> attribute of the building, that needs an access=* tag.
>
> This kind of unclear semantics is exactly why I will vote to
> discourage amenity=public_building. Let's not throw the baby out with
> the bath water and suggest a replacement which is just as bad, if not
> worse.

These tags and the descriptions are already on the wiki.
If they should be improved .. or discouraged .. then do that as separate
issues.

----------------
Town Halls...
England ...
https://www.thsh.co.uk/town-hall/
http://www.leeds.gov.uk/townhall/Pages/default.aspx
http://www.cheltenhamtownhall.org.uk/
https://www.loughboroughtownhall.co.uk/

and a few more...
---
"an office of a local administrative authority, not related to the state
government"

Errr some names ? local council, shire council, county council...

---
building=public .. already done this. I do agree that it is not 'good'.
But someone put it up. And it can be discussed .. on the wiki or as a
separate thread.