[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Discourage amenity=public_building

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 05:40:44 UTC 2016

On 16/01/2016 3:40 PM, John Willis wrote:

> On Jan 16, 2016, at 9:12 AM, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl
> <mailto:colin.smale at xs4all.nl>> wrote:
>
>>> If they should be improved .. or discouraged .. then do that as
>>> separate issues.
>>
>> If you want to fix a problem, don't replace it with another one.
>>

> Then I will work on a civic building / civic office something
> extension this week.
Two different things - so two different tags;
  ... one a physical thing - the building (building=yes being the least
specific, for a building full of clerks ? building=clerical?)
... one a service thing - the office .. office=administration ?
office=tax (that looks to be common :) )

> All the counties use admin levels, right? We should also be able to
> use admin level tags to denote the government level rather than
> relying on words.

Have to rely on words to translate the 'level' into something 'we'
understand. The problem remains.

> However, defining the office types will surely run into odd
> combinations ( like the American Alcohol - tobacco - guns dept), so
> the the system will have to have a whole bunch of civic:foobar=yes or
> civic:category:foobar=yes,
Yes.
> as well as support for names of the department., like operator or
> brand or chain something (many many offices are branches of a main
> office, or a "chain" of offices related to each other).

Again yes.

> I will try to get something setup - and something to go with landuse -
> so we have a solution for o plug into fill this hole.

Landuse ... is also a problem .. some have more than one 'use'.
  An example.
In Australia there are 'water catchment' areas - to gather drinking
water. They have secondary functions of flora and fauna preservation.
The areas are fairly large to allow for periods of little (to no, though
that is more a storage volume problem) rainfall of up to 5 years.

In the UK there are 'water catchment' areas too .. also to gather
drinking water. They also function as farms .. etc... I think the little
to no rainfall problem here was 2 weeks... to put the reliability of
rainfall in perspective.

So there needs to be a way of multiple landuses.. some with priority,
others without priority... some mixed - for example a primary use, and
many secondary.
I have not thought greatly on it. But that is at least some of the
landuse problem.

> Hopefully I'll have something to show this week.

Good. Don't envy you it. Rather get on with some actual mapping at the
moment.