[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Route=worship

Sun Jan 17 01:51:09 UTC 2016

On 01/17/2016 01:31 AM, Warin wrote:
> On 17/01/2016 10:56 AM, Tijmen Stam wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I am sending this RFC in order to receive some feedback regarding my
>> OSM feature proposal for route=worship.
>>
>> The proposal can be found at
>> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Route%3DWorship>
>>
>> With regards,
>>
>> Tijmen Stam / IIVQ
>>
>> P.S. As this is my first proposal, comments on the proposal _process_
>> are welcome too.

> I think the basic idea is good.

Thx

> I think the proposal should be reworded to remove Christian .. so as to
> encourage use by other religions.

Could you give hints on how to make it more religion-neutral?

> Possibly a name change to 'route=pilgrimage'? Reference to
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilgrimage shows considerable use by other
> religions. More thoughts? I think the hajj may also be considered to be
> commenced once you leave your home, just as it is for the
> Camino_de_Santiago. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camino_de_Santiago

I am an Atheïst and wasn't brought up in a religious way, and also lack
knowledge thereof. However, I feel that a pilgrimage is a longer route
where the travel itself is what makes one contemplate. There is not one
route to Santiago, but a whole network of well-travelled but not-fixed
routes.

My proposal route=worship is a route (usually short) with fixed places
where one should worship.

In short, I feel that a (for example) station of the cross and a
pilgrimage are entirely diffent things.