[Tagging] Removing name_1 and alt_name_1 from Wiki

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 18:40:52 UTC 2016

On 19/01/2016 18:02, Hakuch wrote:
> On 10.01.2016 22:29, moltonel 3x Combo wrote:
>> Actually to my human eyes, both semicolons and suffixes are equally
>> ugly (but pragmatic). It's for processing that suffixes are supperior:
>> * Spliting by semicolons (no regexp needed :p) is easy but naive,
>> because semicolons are sometimes part of the actual value.
>> * One workaround is to use some kind of escape character, but this is
>> an impementation/spec minefield that we'll never get right.
>> * Another is to maintain a whitelist of tags that can be split by
>> semicolon, but it's extra work and everybody'll have a different list.
> actually, I just found that we have a solution for this in Wiki:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Semi-colon_value_separator#Escaping_with_.27.3B.3B.27
>
> It might not be used by that much developers,

It's not used by anyone as far as I can see:

http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=%3B%3B

(unless taginfo is doing some special filtering)

> but they can find it in
> Wiki if they want to care for their data

Data consumers (or at least, _this_ data consumer) don't view the
"official use" as all the information they need about how to interpret
OSM data.  For example, if I see a highway=residential in the middle of
a desert in the USA I don't think "residential road" I think "unfixed
TIGER data".

Basically you (and some other people) have a different view as to the
best way to represent multiple names compared to Vincent (and some other
people).  It doesn't matter who is "right" or "wrong"; the thing to take
away is that "actually, it's a fairly complicated issue".  Rather than
telling everyone else how to map, I'd suggest that you move on and map
the rest of the world that isn't mapped yet.

Cheers,

Andy