[Tagging] Tagging scrap yards, junkyards

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 17:31:04 UTC 2016

On 20/01/2016 17:19, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> On 20 January 2016 at 02:03, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com
> <mailto:daveswarthout at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     I'm trying to decide how to tag what we in the U.S. refer to as
>     junkyards.

> Would amenity=waste_transfer_station be an option? See
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dwaste_transfer_station
> . Perhaps this makes more sense for scrapyards that make most of their
> money from selling the iron used in cars.

I'd have thought that a "waste transfer station" was something else?
Scrapyards round here tend to major not so much in selling iron but in
car parts (though obviously that'll vary with commodity prices and local
area).  I think I've seen at least one "waste transfer station"
somewhere in the county though what that's tagged as I wouldn't like to
say.   It didn't look very scrapyardish (though I can see how there
might be overlap of edge cases).

Cheers,

Andy