[Tagging] Tagging scrap yards, junkyards

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 20:46:50 UTC 2016

On 21/01/2016 4:31 AM, Andy Townsend wrote:
> On 20/01/2016 17:19, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
>> On 20 January 2016 at 02:03, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com
>> <mailto:daveswarthout at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     I'm trying to decide how to tag what we in the U.S. refer to as
>>     junkyards.

>> Would amenity=waste_transfer_station be an option? See
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dwaste_transfer_station
>> . Perhaps this makes more sense for scrapyards that make most of
>> their money from selling the iron used in cars.
>
> I'd have thought that a "waste transfer station" was something else?
> Scrapyards round here tend to major not so much in selling iron but in
> car parts (though obviously that'll vary with commodity prices and
> local area).  I think I've seen at least one "waste transfer station"
> somewhere in the county though what that's tagged as I wouldn't like
> to say.   It didn't look very scrapyardish (though I can see how there
> might be overlap of edge cases).

I too think of a 'waste transfer station' as something else. They don't
store stuff for long - moving it on fairly quickly. Say less than a week.

A 'junkard' would usually have things stored for quite some time. Save
over a year. They sell the individual parts to people who want those
parts for use rather than scrapping them. What ever parts that are not
wanted .. those go to the recyclers.

A 'junkard' can be for cars, trucks, motorcycles, earth movers,
aeroplanes ... I think that needs to be specified.

They go by various names depending on where you are .. 'boneyeard',
'wreckers' ...

for example I'd tag them;
landuse=industrial
industrial=car_wreckers