[Tagging] Tagging scrap yards, junkyards

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Wed Jan 20 18:24:15 UTC 2016

> On Jan 20, 2016, at 9:19 AM, Matthijs Melissen <info at matthijsmelissen.nl> wrote:
>
> On 20 January 2016 at 02:03, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com <mailto:daveswarthout at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I'm trying to decide how to tag what we in the U.S. refer to as junkyards. Mostly these are where old automobiles go when they are discarded and are a source of used parts. They are therefore an amenity of considerable value, at least to some people. In other countries they might be called scrapyards (or perhaps salvage_yards or even some variation on automobile_salvage) so I'm looking for input from our little world-spanning community of expert taggers.
>
> Would amenity=waste_transfer_station be an option? See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dwaste_transfer_station <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dwaste_transfer_station> . Perhaps this makes more sense for scrapyards that make most of their money from selling the iron used in cars.

The three places I know of that are officially called “waste transfer stations” are relatively small facilities where rubbish is collected for short term storage and then trucked off for final disposal (or possibly recycling) elsewhere. I don’t think that the ones I’ve looked at have enough space for more than a day or two of storage and suspect that everything deposited there is removed within a day.

This is quite different than a scrap or salvage yard where it may be months or years before things are disassembled for parts sales or crushed, etc.

So I am not sure how a junkyard should be tagged but am pretty sure that “waste transfer station” ought not be confused with it.