[Tagging] Removing name_1 and alt_name_1 from Wiki

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 24 10:35:54 UTC 2016

We probably don't need a true technical null value, you are right. But
if we introduce a formal method of defining defaults or implied values,
for example if highway=residential implies maxspeed=30 "unless tagged
otherwise", how can we tag "maxspeed is truly unknown, do not apply the
defaults"? Sure, we can use maxspeed=unknown, but then the value
"unknown" has the effect of NULL, i.e. a placeholder where a value could
be stored, but there is nothing there now. If we agree on using a
specific value like "none" or "unknown" or "NULL" for this function,
then defaults could possibly be applied in a broader, more defined way.

On 2016-01-24 11:12, Gerd Petermann wrote:

> I don't think so. Where do we need null values in OSM?
>
> As you said, maxspeed=none means something like maxspeed=unlimited.
>
> I can't think of any tag key which should be stored in OSM with a null value.
>
> In what case would that add valud information compared to having no such tag ?
>
> Gerd
>
> -------------------------
>
> VON: Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl>
> GESENDET: Sonntag, 24. Januar 2016 10:58
> AN: Tag discussion, strategy and related tools; Tijmen Stam
> BETREFF: Re: [Tagging] Removing name_1 and alt_name_1 from Wiki
>
> At present the string "none" is actually a value, the interpretation of which is specific to the key "maxspeed" . Maybe we should promote it to the equivalent of NULL in SQL.

> With the value "none"
>
> For example on German Autobahnen, where you can drive as fast as you
> want is "maxspeed=none" which is different from having maxspeed not set:
> this means maxspeed is unknown or not tagged yet.
>
> On 20-01-16 09:06, Colin Smale wrote:
> Exactly.
>
> If a missing value (i.e. use the default) is not the same as explicitly
> having NO value, how do you override the default with "no value"?
>
> --colin
>
> On 2016-01-20 08:50, Gerd Petermann wrote:
>
> I don't think that the meaning really depends on the position. My
> understanding is that the
>
> complete value (e.g. "80||" ) is parsed by splitting it into separate
> strings at each pipe symbol.
>
> Result: three strings: "80" , "",""
>
> The value "|80|" also gives three strings: "","80",""
>
> Another point is that an empty value means "use the default", which can
>
> only make sense in special cases like this.
>
> Gerd

Links:
------
[1]