[Tagging] Art galleries/museums

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Tue Jan 26 11:23:37 UTC 2016

W dniu 26.01.2016 11:27, Gerd Petermann napisał(a):
> althio wrote
>> It brings too much confusion, I take it for a bad case of duck
>> tagging.
>>
>> I would like :
>> - discourage tourism=gallery
>> - subtype of tourism=museum, museum=art just like
>> museum=railway/history, and further art=painting/...
>> - also redirect towards shop=art for badly tagged items
>
> + 1
> I've never mapped one, but I was very surprised to see
> that tourism=gallery exists.

I also like this proposition. I had this problem myself in my home city
with National Museum and public gallery of art (Zacheta), which are very
similar in what they exhibit. Probably National Museum:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Museum,_Warsaw

shows also some non-art artifacts of historical value, but it has mainly
art collections and "national museum" is defined in English Wikpedia as
"museum maintained by nation", so the actual type is not necessarily
different than national "art museum". I think that art gallery is also
kind of museum when not selling and otherwise just the "art shop" (not
to be confused with shops with accessories for artists).

So I think "tourism=museum + museum=art + art=*" scheme can be useful
for distinguishing from commercial galleries ("shop=art") without going
too deep into museum/gallery naming conventions, which can be
misleading. It could be good to also have some tag for national museum
(like "operator=national" or something like this).

--
"Завтра, завтра всё кончится!" [Ф. Достоевский]