[Tagging] Tagging problem for a river running in a culvert below a track / wiki votes enforcement

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 21:14:50 UTC 2016

On 27/01/2016 7:30 AM, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 20:14:48 +0100
> David Marchal <penegal at live.fr> wrote:
>

>>> Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 18:26:55 +0100
>>> From: matkoniecz at gmail.com
>>> To: penegal at live.fr
>>> CC: tagging at openstreetmap.org
>>> Subject: Re: [Tagging] Tagging problem for a river running in a
>>> culvert below a track / wiki votes enforcement
>>>
>>> I think that photo of this object would be useful to decide how it
>>> should be tagged.
>> Indeed; here comes the picture: http://1drv.ms/1ZQJCxT
>>
>> Hendrikklaas told me by a private message "Simple tagging is
>> tunnel=culvert-bridge and add layer=-1 to avoid crossing conflicts.
>> Or leave it just tunnel=building_passage like you already did just
>> like any other road crossing a building but remember to add layers."
>> Should I consider this as a building?
>>
>> Thank you in advance for your help.
>>
>> Regards.
> I would add to path tag bridge=low_water_crossing (documented at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:bridge ) and layer=1, without
> tagging culverts, without splitting waterway polygon.

+1 to leaving the waterway at level=0 (no tag required as this is the default layer).

> tagging this footway as bridge=low_water_crossing (documented at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:bridge ), without
> tagging culverts, without splitting waterway polygon, splitting stream
> and tagging part under bridge as layer=-1 is equivalent.

layer=-1 to me says this is below natural ground level. And here that is not the case - the road is above natural ground level and that should be tagged layer=1 .. to be absolutely technically correct.

  But many use the layer=-1 on culverts as a convenience of less work.

>> tunnel=building_passage
> I am not understanding where that tag would be applied. What would be
> tagged this way?

The convention it to tag what is inside the tunnel. Similar to a bridge where what is on the bridge carries the tag.