[Tagging] Discussion about Multivalued Keys

Bryan Housel bryan at 7thposition.com
Wed Jan 27 17:16:16 UTC 2016

Hmm, I think the semicolon separated tags are necessarily ordered.  Jochen has it a bit wrong in the blog with his example about coincident highways.

For example US 1-9 by NYC is tagged `ref=US 1;US 9`.  It would be a mistake to treat that as equivalent with US 9-1, as it’s definitely not called that nor signed that way:  http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/51509994 <http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/51509994>

I’m sure there are other examples of this, where the ordering of coincident highway refs would look totally wrong if reversed.