[Tagging] steps parallel to escalator

Michael Reichert nakaner at gmx.net
Fri Jul 1 18:02:47 UTC 2016

Hi Bjoern,

Am 01.07.2016 um 19:30 schrieb Bjoern Hassler:
> A few questions about steps/escalators:
>
> (1) Should an escalator always have "highway=steps"? I.e.
> highway=steps
> conveying=yes
> (see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:conveying ).

Yes. An escalator can be used as a steps even if it is defect.
highway=steps is a well known tag while highway=escalator is both
deprecated/out of date and not well known and therefore not supported by
much data users.

> (2) How would I tag steps that run in parallel to an escalator? Can this be
> done with one way only? If so how? Or would I need two ways? In my opinion
> it would be best to do it with one way, if they really are part of the same
> construction.

Yes, you draw to parallel ways. One way gets conveying=yes, the other
one not (or conveying=no).

Best regards

Michael