[Tagging] amenity=retirement_home and social facility

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri Jul 1 23:00:55 UTC 2016

Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> writes:

> AFAIK assisted living is a more specific term then it might seem at
> first sight, a kind of residence within apartments and assistance on
> demand, as opposed to a retirement home with less privacy and more
> institutional character, but the term is also more generic in its
> meaning I guess.

In many US states, "assisted living residence" (ALR) is a term defined
by the government, which limits on services provided.

The term "retirement home" could be an informal term for an ALR, in
which case no separate tag is needed.  I would expect it to be something
that is less than ALR in terms of services, but where people interact
more than in "independent living".

So I suggest that we defer talking about tagging for "retirement homes"
until we get some specfic examples of places that

  are not regular residential with age restrictions,
  are not "independent living",
  are not ALRs,
  and are not nursing homes.

Again, none of these would ever be called (in the US) group homes.  And
none of these places would be called social facilities.